Friday, October 5, 2012

Tomorrow

is William Tyndale Commemoration Day.

Just letting you know.

And God said "Let there be light and then there was light"  - that was William Tyndale.

"Ask and it shall be given to you: seek and ye shall find: knock and it shall be opened unto you" - pure Tyndale. "In Him we live and move and have our being"; "lead us not into temptation"; "it came to pass" (I love that: think about it. It came - it passed.  Perfect cure for Dismal Days.) "Filthy lucre" : "my brother's keeper"; "the salt of the earth" and "Judge not that you not be judged". Plus the lovely little words  "Passover"; "scapegoat" and probably even my favourite  (see old novel, sigh) "Atonement" - all of them, every one of them Tyndale And a whole lot more besides.

He had as much impact on English, to my mind, as Shakespeare (on whom be peace) and maybe more. And  he was "strangled to death while tied at the stake and then his body was burned" according to records.

Happy Tyndale Commemoration Day.

I'll be  raising a glass.

2 comments:

Emil said...

Wow, that's really interesting. I'd never even heard of him till now. I wonder how the bible must have read prior to translation... I might have more of an inkling if I knew how to read hebrew better...(I was taught to read but not to understand what I was reading, haha).

mccardey said...

Just keep writing, Emil.

You can read later.

:)